Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tekken 6 - Part 1


Tekken 6 is a serious video game
. I mean that it is a videogame for serious people. I first learned about the Tekken franchise when I was very young, with Tekken 2, a videogame where you chose a character and tried to beat up another character until their health bar ran all the way out. Tekken 6 is the same game, but with 6 times as many characters to choose from. The difference between the Tekken 6 and games and the Street Fighter 4 is that while SF4 only lookd 3D, Tekken 6 actually is. This means you can go towards your opponent, or you can sidestep around them. Or you could just play it like it was Street Fighter, no big deal. I have a couple of wins under my belt in SF4, so I thought tonight, while I wait for some chicken to defrost, I would try my hand at Tekken 6 online.
In Tekken you can juggle your opponent. This means you can hit him into the air, where he cannot block, and then keep hitting him as many times as you can until he hits the floor and stands back up. Tekken is an unforgiving game in this way. I like to play with Bryan, who I customized to have green armor plates over blue jeans, and a white winter hat. My opponent is named Baek and we are fighting in an urban war zone. I have to do lots of cool moves if I want to win! I lose, perfectly. I never hit the ground. I can't be Bryan anymore because he is too slow. I will be Law instead, who is Bruce Lee. Hidden Forest, could it be? Lots of little sheep
bouncing around as we hit them. I do not stand a chance. I like the music though. Everyone who plays this game online does it all day. Nobody is a noobie (new player). Everyone has customized costumes that they earned by playing various modes for days. I guess I will be Anna, maybe she is wearing a red dress and I won't lose. Nope. I am going to make curry with that chicken, in case you were wondering. I guess I will try a ranked match, it can't go any worse than the last 4 I just played, or tried to play. Somehow I won one of the best of 5 games before getting perfected and beaten. I just want to win one match! The last player had 385 wins and 367 losses. With that character. I think I had what is the point of playing? That is the serious question that is posed every time to which there is still no answer. It is entertainment. I think it is because humans have become so disconnected, alienated really, from he processes and conditions that made us who we are. Tekken means 'iron fist' in Japanese. I think I just fought a polar bear dressed as a biker, with a fish on its back.
I finally win a match. Two games to zero. On a lucky kick. If you get within 1/10th of your health, you get much more powerful, for no reason. It doesn't count for anything, because it wasn't ranked. I win again, versus the same guy, who is playing as a character who has a big black wings and a shield. Now he changes characters.
I assume it's a male person on the other end of the line. He switches to the black ninja. I am Byran. I lose, and badly. I should be someone else, but who? Wang, the old Chinese man. I win against a black kickboxer, or something? It is all purely luck. I am wasting time with someone called ren-sho-toshie. I choose the question mark - random character. Christie, the Hispanic (?) dancer. Maybe Brazilian. I win the first game with a throw. It is almost time for me to eat chicken. He is using the devil guy again. Winning against this person makes me feel better. I guess I will be Bob, the morbidly obese blond American. Is there a strange stereo/archetype that isn't in this game? Bob has the best attack - a direct frontal assault with his enormous belly. I should add this guy to my online "Friends" of people I have only met in videogames. Maybe we would play later. Oh, his Bob has been customized with a sledgehammer that he cannot use. I just made a new friend who I know nothing about. Could be a computer program for all I know. I actually win a few times, it is kind of fun to win.
Connection to the opponent has been lost. Session disbanded. Returning to Lobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment