Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Soul Calibur IV

Soul Calibur one was called Soul Edge, and I only ever saw it in arcade form. Soul Calibur was the sequel, on the Sega Dreamcast, and one of my favorite games for a while. I would play it with my friends after school at this kid's house which didn't have a microwave, which everyone would use to make fun of him. We would try to push one another off the stage to get an automatic win, aka a Ring Out. In Soul Calibur 2, which I had for the PS2, Todd McFarlene thought it would be a good idea if you could be Necrid, but he was wrong. I spent a lot of time playing Soul Calibur 3 during my senior year of college with my housemates. It was the go-to procrastination distraction. But Soul Calibur IV, of the 4 PS3 games I own, I have played the least. It's incredibly fun with friends and other people, and not so much alone or in the adventure mode. But I am giving it a much needed spin right now.
The main difference between Soul Calibur and Tekken or Street Fighter is that SC has a block button. Just hold the X button to protect yourself, press X and down to block low attacks. (Blocking became such a problem throughout the series that the designers added a fail-safe mechanic: if you block too much, your opponent gets a one-hit-kill attack. This is not the best idea that has ever been added to a game). It's three dimensional like Tekken, but all of the characters wield insane, impossible, ridiculous weapons that would destroy any type of person in one hit, easily. This makes SC the most unrealistic of the fighting games, which is why players must bring the most suspension of disbelief. Ironically, the designers determined that it also deserved the most realistic graphics, and they are quite nice. The only problem is that the characters' faces are not as cartoony as those from SF and not as stereotypically japanese and soulless as the ones from Tekken, and most of them have blue or green eyes. They are eerie, scary, and they fall directly into the uncanny valley. This makes the game creepy and uncomfortable.
Alright, enough background, I have to kill two lizardmans so I can ascend the tower of something or other. I have to fight 2 per stage, for 3 stages. Not the most difficult task, but annoying enough. I have 3 full characters to use. I can switch between them instantly in the middle of the match! I even got a treasure chest for doing a throw. It has a Wonder Jacket. Yes, you can customize your characters in this game too, and they do look silly. Oh, it took me two tries, and I made 18500 gold.
If you haven't guessed by now, yes, Soul Calibur is made by the same company that makes Tekken - Konami. The two games even have a character in common for no reason - Yoshimitsu. One more thing for which there is no reason - in Soul Calibur IV you can be Darth Vader and Yoda. But you have to buy Yoda, for $15 green american. Weird, right? Just shows you how desperate George Lucas is. Playing this game helps me remember why I don't play it at all - it is truly awful. They took everything that was fun and interesting about the originals and got rid of it all. Wow, I need to play some Noby Noby Boy to chill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment