Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Full disclosure - I own stock in the company that is responsible for call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I thought that the new map pack, priced at $15 for five maps, two of which are refurbished maps from older games and three of which are new, was coming out today, July 6th, for the PS3. But probably because I am in Japan I am going to have to wait until tomorrow. So I won't be able to play on the new Resurgence maps, but I will get to play on the last Stimulus Package pack, because I bought that one a few months ago when it came out. I like to play online multiplayer deathmatch.
Right now I am second prestige level 70, which means I went through all 70 experience levels and started over again at 0, just for the heck of it. I could restart again now for my "third time's the charm" but I don't feel like unlocking all of the weapons again. I want to get as many titles and emlems, little graphics you identify with in game, as I can right now. For example, right now I have Stunner Veteran, words over some gray smoke and two skull profiles at the ends of a long rectangle as my title, which I got for getting 75 kills while I was stunned by a stun grenade. I'm having trouble choosing an emblem. What little colorful picture, indicating something I have unlocked, looks the best with this title? A knife with red lines coming out at various angles. I think I got this one for ending a game, getting the final kill, with a throwing knife, which was difficult and took multiple failed attempts and a lot of timing.
Let's find a game already. Mercenary team deathmatch, so teams can't gang up on me. Oh Scrapyard, I like this level, it's not too big or small. I want to kill people.
oh thank goodness we won, 7500 to 6700. It was neck and neck the entire time. Most headshots, longest distance traveled, and most flashbang hits for me. 8 kills and 5 assists, 14 deaths. Whichever team gets the most kills wins. If you get killed, you just respawn at the other end of the level and try again until on team gets 75 kills or time runs out. Usually it's 10 minutes, I think.
Videogames use the word 'respawn' incorrectly. Fish go to one end of a river to spawn, to mate and lay eggs, right? in videogames, when you die, you respawn, you are born again.
I quit that game room because there was a sniper who I didn't like. This game is on terminal, the airport level. We won again, 7500 to 4700. The other team only had 4 people, 2 must have quit or something. Most assists, Most avenger kills (when I avenge a teammate) and most paybacks (when I kill someone who just killed me). Wingman, Avenger, Vengeful. These add up every time you play. It's my 75th Avenger accolade. I should just be running around stabbing people. But I want to get more colorful icons and titles.
I like this game because it is cinematic and exciting. Someone runs around the corner and just as he about to shoot me to death, someone on my team blows his body across the screen with a grenade. I walk into an empty room only to find a claymore mine, which *tick*s and then kills me. I use my Last Stand perk to stay alive on the ground for an extra moment and defeat my enemy with my handgun. Now we lost. I got annoyed at my entire team standing around. So I antagonized one teammate sniper by standing in front of him and harmlessly shooting. Friendly fire is off on these games. Should I keep playing? I need a drink of water.
At some point I unlocked a new scope for the rifle I was using. I need 116 kills, 8 shot down planes or helicopters, and 11 near death kills for the achievements I want. I should be able to get the 116 in the next few days, before I have to give this game back to my friend who lent it to me. I am looking foward to that, so I won't be able to play until I buy it for myself and access my player profile again through the Playstation Network. I get a cup of water and turn on the voicechat volume, which I never do, to see what people are talking about. It's just too stuffy in here, so I turn on the AC. I am not playing well. Turned too many corners only to get stabbed. As an excuse, I didn't like that map. It was too big and overgrown with vegetation; hard to see the enemy. Well, the name of the map is Overgrown.
When my team loses it's never my fault, it's always everyone else on my team who refuses to play. I don't know if I am playing with 7 year olds or seasoned veterans who do this all day, or 7 year olds who also do this all day. Now I have to set a goal for myself, something immediate so I can know when to stop playing. 9 more kills with the new rifle scope, and I unlock the thermal, and that's enough for today. I didn't notice that I have a missed call. If it's important, s/he will call back. I've been playing for an hour and change. Airport level again. Okay that one was kind of fun. I hid behind a lunch counter and tried to stay alive. I lasted about four minutes and got five kills without dying. Fewest deaths, most headshots, killed entire enemy team. 3 more kills. Thermal Scope unlocked. There is no such thing as a fair game. Either we are short a player, or they are, or they are all seven year olds, or everyone on my team is. And if things are evenly matched all the way to the end, one team gets that extra kill slightly sooner by total luck. Nobody is talking about anything. One person hisses into the microphone. Revenge, Marksman, Blinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment